Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Like a Fish Out of Water


Crab fishing. I guess I shouldn't have been the least bit surprised when I heard the words come out of my husband's mouth last night. But...to say I wasn't a bit shocked would be a farce. Did Drew just announce to the family we were going crabbin' this weekend? Yes. He. Did.

Living with my husband is an adventure. He is an explorer, a life-long learner, a seeker of life. Though I think I'd rather be one to sit and enjoy my garden with a cup of tea (of course!), Drew wants to experience life first hand. What is it like to view the mountain from that park, stand where his Irish ancestors farmed, run with the bulls (no, we haven't done this...but DON'T mention it to him!), eat the bazaar, etc.?

Drew's ideas are amazing, fun and full of wonder. Just living with him is my adventure, to partake in his excitement for life. He has instilled this in our children to want to experience everything and so I'm grateful. However, I admit sometimes I'm the dream crusher when I convince him it may just be too dangerous for the kids to experience this or that. But, mostly he has researched and romanticized whatever the new idea is that as a wife and friend I couldn't say no to his enchantment with whatever he has "dreamed" up to do.

But...crab fishing? Honestly, I kinda' feel like a fish out of water. What in the world are two Midwesterns going crab fishing with their kids? But, it's too late. The kids are on board. Drew is researching where to buy or rent a crab pot. (Huh?)  And...the family calendar clearly says Crab Fishing for Saturday, June 30. I guess there is no turning back but to experience life to it's fullest...head on...even if it means crab fishing.

So here's to crab fishin'... And don't worry when I told Drew I didn't have any idea how to crab fish, he said, "No problem. There are lots of youtube videos and books about the subject."

Of course there are. So here's to a week of reading up about crab fishing...because there will be a sign on our door on Saturday morning saying "Gone Crab Fishin".

From inside the little blue bungalow,
Katie Jean 




2 comments:

Kat said...

I love your blog! Looking forward to reading more! Would appreciate the follow back! Have a good evening. -Kat

http://mom-uncensored.blogspot.com

Ginger said...

Praise the Lord for You-tube videos! That is great. Can't wait to hear all about it.