Friday, April 18, 2008

Life in the Busy Lane

Oh…the state our office at times is well…a bit to be desired. Too often I find myself clearing a spot to write a check or hold a crying child while tripping on a random item as I finish an important phone call.. Ironically our small bungalow is nearly picked-up with the occasional misplaced toy, but our office…well it is a hit or miss. In a sense, it is lungs of our home…filtering out the daily activities of our family. Occasionally I find a broken crayon, a reminder for a birthday party, pamphlet on a local hiking trail, pictures carefully drawn by our daughter in Sunday school, and a misplaced sock all mixed in with our office equipment. I often think, “How did this get here?” But I know each item represents life of our busy family as we navigate the world of raising a three and one year old child.

At times I can’t stand the mess and at other times I accept it as a part of having our beautiful family. I do work hard at keeping our office organized with file folders for statements/bills, a 3-ring binder to hold coupons and special deals, pencil holder, etc. However, there are still times when all the organization tools put into practice still result in “chaos”. At first I felt like I had “failed” as a stay-at-home mom. (I’m home all day so I should have the perfect house…right…WRONG.) My job is my kids. Early on in my stay-at-home career, I made a rule that if my kids ask me to play or read a book that I’ll stop my own activity to spend this special time with them instead. As moms we need to enjoy this season. In ten years we’ll all be begging for an ounce of details…what really went on at the school dance and trying to figure out what “fine” means. So, in the meantime, I may have a day or two when my office isn’t “Martha” perfect, but that is ok with me. I’m investing in my children’s lives and that is right where I need to be. I am the Mom…defender of the pretend alligator that live in the kitchen, butt wiper, bubble blower, boo boo kisser, hug machine…and I am happy right where I am.

From inside the little blue bungalow,
Katie Jean

No comments: