Friday, May 8, 2009

Show Us Where You Live: Living Room


Greetings from the Pacific Northwest and welcome to the Little Blue Bungalow. The Britten's: Drew, Katie Jean (that's me!), Fiona and Keegan are pleased you've chosen our blog to stop by for a visit during Kelly's Korner "Show Us Where You Live - Friday".

As you can quickly tell we have a small home (1,100 square feet), but never short on comfort, spirit, and hospitality. Our decorations are few, but compliment the simplicity of living in a small mission-style bungalow.

In the past several months I've had several faithful readers and old friends ask to see more pictures of our little blue bungalow. Hence, when Kelly introduced this idea of showcasing a room in our homes each week through our blogs I knew I should participate.

Not only does our living room act as our main gathering area, but serves as our dining room, study, and music room. Ah...the beauty of a "quaint" home. However, it forces us to be resourceful and keep only the items that serve a "purpose" rather than collect dust.

Our entire home is filled with heirloom antiques and some of our favorites reside in the living room. Each "anchor" piece has a story and brings a touch of elegance and comfort to our home.

The dining room set and buffet is from my husband's parents and can extend to seat almost twenty guests comfortably. The mission rocking chair by the TV was my late Great Grandfather's chair that he used in his study years ago. The piano was restored by our late Grandma Ruth and even survived being flipped upside down on one of its many moves with our family. (I'm sure it has a story or two to tell!)

The other items on display throughout the room are important items passed down from our family, trinkets bought at Goodwill or estate auctions (hey, I'm a thrifty girl at heart!), or from our travels BK (Before Kids).

We hope you enjoyed your quick glimpse into the Little Blue Bungalow. Feel free to come back often and follow the daily happenings of the Britten's through my own personal, witty writing style at Little Blue Bungalow.

If you enjoyed this living room tour, please make sure to stop by Kelly's blog (click HERE) and visit other blogs participating in the "Show Us Where You Live - Friday".

From inside the little blue bungalow,
Katie Jean

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

The Trendy Family said...

I love you space! It is great!

k and c's mom said...

I love your home! It is cozy and looks like a loving family lives in it. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Funny timing on this one, Since I posted my before/after paint pics Friday!

I love your living/dining space! And the color... lol. :) I like that warm spicy color and the white trim. ;)