Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Looking out Windows At Iowa Snow

If you haven't guessed it by now with my blogging absence...I'm currently in Iowa enjoying time with my family. Though the weather is bitter (seriously takes my breathe away at times!), my families' homes have been warm and inviting.

We don't often get the chance to come home and this was an opportunity I didn't want to miss. The YMCA is in shut-down week(makes me feel a bit less guilty for my lack of exercise this week and extra goodies...ahem) and Drew is in the midst of finals week with his students, typically the most hectic time of year for him. So all in all...it made sense that the kids and I venture out to enjoy some "better" weather in the heartland.

While many of you were enjoying warm times on the beach or planning your trip to Mexico...the kids and I were wondering how many sweaters to pack and if snow boots could be considered a carry-on.

Immediately stepping off the plane the kids couldn't get over the snow. "Look at the snow over there Mom.", "Mom, look at the snow!", "Hey, mom did you know they have snow here?" And if the comments weren't enough we had to touch the snow, sit in the snow, walk in the snow...of course, all while wearing inappropriate clothes. (Why in the world do kids always do this?)

Growing up in Iowa, I am a bit accustomed to snow and the long winter months of cabin fever that follow. But, to kids from Washington it has been a time of wonder and adjustment to cold and more time spent indoors. We've visited cousins, aunts, uncles, great-grandparents and grandparents all in the comfort of their inviting homes.

This year Christmas won't be about Webkinz pets and Dora Link Dolls, instead it will be about wonderful memories of time spent with loved ones in the comfort of warm, cozy homes back in Iowa...building snowmen with Grandpa, reading books with Grandma and playing games with the cousins on a cold winter day just like I remember it. :)

From inside the Little Blue Bungalow, (or should I say my parent's home back in Iowa)
Katie Jean

No comments: