Tuesday, July 8, 2008

4th of July Yankee Doodle Dash

Our 4th of July started with a bang (literally) as our family hit the streets of Everett, WA running after the gun sounded to begin the Yankee Doodle Dash. After working out for over a month now, I decided it was time to stretch myself and enter our family in a race...not a 10K, 5K, but a one mile family fun run. We had a great time...kids in a borrowed double stroller...Drew and Katie Jean running side by side and plenty of cheering folks along the side of the streets. The last two blocks we let Fiona out of the stroller to run. It was amazing...she picked up a huge stride...big smile...and in the words of Forest Gump, "I was running". Drew and I could hardly keep up. Fiona ran to the finish screaming "I won, I won the game." It was a classic and a reminder of why I'm getting in shape again. I don't want to miss a moment of my kids precious lives. Moments like this.

After fourteen years of absence of any regular fitness routine, it was a milestone for my general fitness and good to know that I wasn't huffing and puffing the entire way. I was pleased with my efforts even though I wasn't able to run constantly the entire time, I reminded myself I have to start somewhere. We all do sometimes the start is just a bit harder. My main goal for entering the healthy realm again has been for my kids as well as my self esteem. Our kids are active and they are gifted athletically. Ten years from now, I refuse to be the mom on the sidelines severely overweight, sipping a Slurpee with an expanding bottom. Sadly enough, I think I was heading that way, but I know I've turned the corner. Twelve pounds gone, several inches lost, and clothes starting to fit better...I know I'm on the right track.

Working out is hard, but it is also fun. I'm in control of my own body and it is a lot more fun then the enjoyment I get from a good piece of cake and sitting on the sidelines watching my family. Don't get me wrong...we are an active family, but I was never doing constant personal aerobic workouts for my heart health and toning my muscles under my three rolls of fat...make that two rolls of fat now. :) I'm thankful for my workout buddies...Rachel, Crystal, and Angie...thanks for the talks and keeping me coming to the YMCA. I've got a long ways to go, but at least I'm getting there and I have the T-shirt to prove it. I ran in the Yankee Doodle Dash 2008 and that is more than I can say for the past fourteen years.

From inside the little blue bungalow,
Katie Jean

Posted by Picasa

No comments: