Thursday, July 10, 2008

Harvest Time




Harvest time here at the Britten house. Romaine lettuce, sweet peas, raspberries, cilantro, and strawberries have been coming in from the back yard garden to our dinner plate quite heavily the past several weeks. Yeah for summer foods. Sometimes that night's dinner is picked 10 minutes before being served! Incredible...and, of course, all of my harvest is done with my great helpers, Drew, Fiona and Keegan. (Actually...1/3 of what we pick seems to disappear before it hits the table. Hum? )


I love being able to support my family's food from our back yard, but most of all I love gardening. Nothing relaxes me more than digging in the dirt, dead heading flowers, straightening a flower bed. It is pure therapy. I hope you are enjoying some of your own harvests or taking advantage of your local farmer's markets in your own area. Nothing beats fresh garden fruits and vegetables.

From inside the little blue bungalow,
Katie Jean
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

my2boys1&2 said...

Hey Katie, those are beautiful. I am jealous. I need to do this too. I love reading this. I am going to have to save your blog so I can get into it more often.
I love you.
Joy

His wife, Bonnie said...

I did go to the farmers market in Monmouth and get some fresh beets and green beans, tomatoes and green peppers for barb and DRC and GPA and GMA---I LOVE cooking with fresh vegetables. The crops look amazing in Iowa/Illinois despite the flooding problems. LOVE MOM