Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Supper in a Pumpkin


Supper was interesting and utilized more of our fresh garden products. Tonight we had supper in a pumpkin grown from Fiona's garden along with fresh baking powder biscuits. (Ok...make that warm, flaky biscuits...are you jealous?) Yes, the supper was contained entirely inside the pumpkin making clean up a snap as well as amazing presentation. (My mother-in-law would be so proud!)

I can't say I was completely "in love" with the dish as the spices seemed odd for me in a soup type dish...nutmeg and rosemary? However, it was hearty and it was good enough that I'd make it again and "experiment" on the spices next time. Fiona was so proud of our "pumpkin soup", especially the fact that the produce came from her garden. (Honesty, every gardener is, especially when you are four years old.)

In the process, I roasted the scooped out pumpkin seeds for my hubby to take to work and the slimy junk and pumpkin shell will join the compost out in the back yard. All in all, nothing going to waste. What more can I say?

Below is the recipe I used for our supper. Please feel free to "experiment" and, of course, let me know if you make this tasty dish.

From inside the little blue bungalow,
Katie Jean

Supper in a Puget Sound Fresh Pumpkin

1 Pumpkin, 10-12 inches in diameter
1 tsp. Rosemary
1 Cup Raw Rice
2 cans Chicken Broth (10 oz)
1 10 oz frozen mixed vegetables (or just peas, beans, or corn)
1 lb pork sausage
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Cut off top of pumpkin, scoop out seeds and season pulp with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Brown sausage, drain, saute in onions, add rosemary. Cook rice in chicken broth according to directions. Combine all ingredients and stuff into your pumpkin. Replace pumpkin top and place on rack in roasting pan with 1 inch of water. Cover and steam in 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours. Spoon out cooked walls of the pumpkin as you serve the stew.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

His wife, Bonnie said...

UMMMMMM, this looks and sounds so good, I hope I am visiting the next time you make it. LOVE YA ALL< the mother-in-law